Melancholia premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2011. Lead actress Kirsten Dunst won the Cannes Best Actress Award for her performance. The movie was released in the US on November 4, 201. It is now available on DVD.
Kirsten Dunst – Justine
Charlotte Gainsbourg – Claire
Alexander Skarsgard – Michael
Charlotte Rampling – Gaby
John Hurt – Dexter
Stellan Skarsgard – Jack
Kiefer Sutherland – John
A huge thanks to BW for the translation below. Aftonbladet posted an article today with the news that Alexander Skarsgard will appear in an upcoming film “Melancholia”. Click here for the article:
Time for Hollywood to invade Trollhättan again.
When Lars von Trier in the summer re-filming of “Trollywood”, is Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling and father and son Skarsgard – Stellan and Alexander – the cast.
As usual, it is very secretive when the controversial Danish director to make films.
It is known that “Melancholia” is a science fiction story that probably is about how an alien planet is about to collide with Earth.
In view of the Danish director’s self-contained, however, said the end result barely resemble the previous two movies made about the subject, “Armageddon” and “Deep Impact”.
Now TT spectra reveals that von Trier has been together a good-list:
Kirsten Dunst, who after three “Spider-Man” movies now, then move on to something completely different.
She will star in the film.
“Unveiled in Cannes”
Von Trier’s business partner Peter Jensen Aalbæk have previously reported that negotiations were conducted with Penelope Cruz in that role, but it did not work in time for the Spanish actress.
Now he chooses to lie low.
- I can neither confirm nor deny. Negotiations take place. Cast is revealed during the Cannes Film Festival, says Aalbæk Jensen TT spectra.
Other actors who according to TT Spektras sources are ready for the movie is the star of the thriller series “24″, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling, Charlotte Gainsbourg, who won the prize at Cannes for starring in the director’s latest film “Antichrist”, Udo Kier, and so two Swedes now most of the Hollywood film, Stellan Skarsgard and Alexander.
The recording will continue in Trollhättan, from July to September. It all indicates that the film makes its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011, the Danish director usually do so and tend to always be welcome there.
Kidman and Bacall
This is the fourth time that von Trier is attracting foreign star actor to Trollhättan.
In “Dancer in the Dark” (2000), who later won the Palme d’Or in Cannes, attended Bjork, Catherine Deneuve, David Morse, Joel Grey and Jean-Marc Barr, except the Swedes Peter Stormare and Stellan Skarsgard.
In “Dogville” (2003) was Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall, Paul Bettany, Blair Brown, James Caan, Patricia Clarkson, Jeremy Davies, Ben Gazarra, Chloë Sevigny and Philip Baker Hall in front of the cameras, along with the Swedes Harriet Andersson and Stellan Skarsgard.
And in the film’s sequel “Manderley” (2005) was recovered including Bryce Dallas Howard, Isaac The Bankolé, Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, Lauren Bacall and Chloë Sevigny in the cast.
Aftonbladet spoke with Stellan Skarsgard 5/2010. Click here for link to article in Swedish.
Stellan spoke on his upcoming role with his son Alexander in “Melancholia”. Click here for the original article.
Here is the translation:
“There may be a” Mamma Mia “2″
He has just made the hit movie “Thor” and is about to play against his son Alexander in Lars von Triesen upcoming movie.
Now reveal Stellan Skarsgård a sequel to the hit film “Mamma Mia” is underway.
- Yes, damn it, it would be fun and I know that the studio would do a runner, “says Stellan Skarsgard.
Stellan Skarsgard have just returned from the desert in Santa Fe and the recording of the Marvel classic “Thor”, where he played against Natalie Portman.
- It was freezing cold, but fun. Natalie is so incredibly good. And smart. Too bad she’s only vegan, it’s so unsexy, ha.
Now waiting Trollhättan and Lars von Trier’s new film “Melancholia,” where he and his son Alexander will play a great father and son.
- It will be great fun, he’s a talented actor, “says Stellan.
He asks you for advice sometimes?
- No, none of my children do, not Gustav, or Bill, either. He has been there and worn so long now in the United States and have fought so hard. He may be better than where I am.
Right now it is Stellan Skarsgård in the current Norwegian comedy drama “A very kind man”, which won the Audience Award at the Berlin Film Festival earlier this year.
He plays the edge bumped kåkfararen Ulrik trying to piece together his life.
It’s fun to hear you speak Swedish again, you never get any exciting offers Swedish?
- No, not so much. I have some scripts, but they have not been able to compete. But it feels like it will be a new generation of filmmakers in Sweden, I think so it feels fresh.
An exciting project that has been discussed is otherwise “Mamma Mia” 2 “, says Stellan Skarsgard.
- It depends on. I know that the studio would like, they have talked to me about it. The songs are of course, now have only one story hammer. The girls behind must come to an idea.
Would you like to do it again?
- Yes, damn it, it would be fun, definitely.
Do not live in Hollywood
Although Stellan Skarsgård work a lot in Hollywood, he has no desire to live there.
- No, never. It is so career-oriented. All intercourse is all about business. And the U.S. system does not fit me, I think you should pay tax and have free schools. It is a developing country in many ways. I live in söder.
Gallery of images from movie trailer: