Alexander plays the role of Michael in Melancholia. The movie premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2011. Lead actress Kirsten Dunst won the Cannes Best Actress Award for her performance. The movie was released in the US on November 4, 201. It is now available on DVD.
It is directed by Danish art director Lars Von Trier and also stars Alexander’s father Stellan.
The movie is split into 2 parts. In part 1 revolves around Justine and Michael’s wedding party. In Part 2 Justine becomes severely depressed, almost catatonic. Melancholia is a large planet which will possibly (or possibly not) collide with the earth. Alexander appears in the first part.
Kirsten Dunst – Justine
Charlotte Gainsbourg – Claire
Alexander Skarsgard – Michael
Charlotte Rampling – Gaby
John Hurt – Dexter
Stellan Skarsgard – Jack
Kiefer Sutherland – John
Aftonbladet spoke with Stellan Skarsgard 5/2010. Click here for link to article in Swedish.
Stellan spoke on his upcoming role with his son Alexander in “Melancholia”. Click here for the original article.
Here is the translation:
“There may be a” Mamma Mia “2”
He has just made the hit movie “Thor” and is about to play against his son Alexander in Lars von Triesen upcoming movie.
Now reveal Stellan Skarsgård a sequel to the hit film “Mamma Mia” is underway.
– Yes, damn it, it would be fun and I know that the studio would do a runner, “says Stellan Skarsgard.
Stellan Skarsgard have just returned from the desert in Santa Fe and the recording of the Marvel classic “Thor”, where he played against Natalie Portman.
– It was freezing cold, but fun. Natalie is so incredibly good. And smart. Too bad she’s only vegan, it’s so unsexy, ha.
Now waiting Trollhättan and Lars von Trier’s new film “Melancholia,” where he and his son Alexander will play a great father and son.
– It will be great fun, he’s a talented actor, “says Stellan.
He asks you for advice sometimes?
– No, none of my children do, not Gustav, or Bill, either. He has been there and worn so long now in the United States and have fought so hard. He may be better than where I am.
Right now it is Stellan Skarsgård in the current Norwegian comedy drama “A very kind man”, which won the Audience Award at the Berlin Film Festival earlier this year.
He plays the edge bumped kåkfararen Ulrik trying to piece together his life.
It’s fun to hear you speak Swedish again, you never get any exciting offers Swedish?
– No, not so much. I have some scripts, but they have not been able to compete. But it feels like it will be a new generation of filmmakers in Sweden, I think so it feels fresh.
An exciting project that has been discussed is otherwise “Mamma Mia” 2 “, says Stellan Skarsgard.
– It depends on. I know that the studio would like, they have talked to me about it. The songs are of course, now have only one story hammer. The girls behind must come to an idea.
Would you like to do it again?
– Yes, damn it, it would be fun, definitely.
Do not live in Hollywood
Although Stellan Skarsgård work a lot in Hollywood, he has no desire to live there.
– No, never. It is so career-oriented. All intercourse is all about business. And the U.S. system does not fit me, I think you should pay tax and have free schools. It is a developing country in many ways. I live in söder.